Monday, February 28, 2011

Conversations with God

This little story was written a couple of months ago and I forgot to share it. I thought it was still worth sharing...

Joel has been asking really deep questions about God and life and death lately. Actually he's been asking these kinds of questions for a while, but the questions of life and death have really been on his mind lately.

So, a couple of weeks ago, he asked me how people die. How do you answer that honestly in a way that a 3 year old understands but without adding unnecessary fear to his life? I told him that people die when their hearts stop beating. He seemed ok with that but then he wanted to know how you become real again. Uhh.....

So tonight, he wanted to pray so that he wouldn't be scared. We do this almost every night and every naptime. I prayed again for Jesus to send the angels to guard and protect us. I finished and Joel was concerned. He couldn't see the angels. Hmm.... He asked again for me to pray and ask Jesus to send the angels where he could see them. So we did.

Then he laid down and said, "Momma, we need to pray for God. He doesn't feel very good. His heart stopped beating and now he's in heaven. Will you pray for him to feel better?"

Hmmm...he's put two and two together. He knows that God is in heaven. I've told him that you go to heaven when your heart stops beating. How do you explain that God is, well, God  to your 3 year old?

Deep insight for such a little guy! He challenges my faith every day.

No comments:

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers